help_outline Skip to main content
Herrington Harbour Sailing Association
Promoting sailing on Herring Bay and beyond
 
Shopping Cart
cancel

Racing Discussions

Herring Bay Cup Notice Board
Author Last Post
Good call.  Cantata would not be available next Wednesday.

Cheers,
Hank

Thanks to all for the comments... It sounds like even if the race could have happen, many crew members were home dealing with flooding basements. What a night!


Several people have asked me about pushing to next week. Unfortunately, I would have had to re-arrange my calendar to make that work (or find another RC), which led me to believe that many of the Skippers and Crew Members would have had to do the same, so decided that the Herring Bay Cup will just spend a year on hiatus...

Jason,

I left Jubilee a short time ago. Lulls were 23 knots and I observed several gusts over 30, high of 32.3 knots. In the slip.

Good call to cancel.

Thanks,
Keith

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone


<<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>
Posted by: Jason P Fox on 9/1/2021 at 11:19 AM
View/reply online: https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=2155&club_id=8237&item_id=1167667&message_id=2933813
Reply to forum at racing_discussions@hhsa.org (be sure to copy the message subject exactly so your reply is attached to the correct thread)
Reply directly to Jason P Fox at jason.fox98@gmail.com
If this message contains inappropriate content, you can report the message online: https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=2163&club_id=8237&item_id=2933813&thread_id=1167667&forum_id=2579&show_message=y
<<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>


Well, the the storm hit our warm moist air and began to gather speed and energy again.  Even though it is passing a bit further north, the entire region is under both gale and tornado warnings, and several branches of the Federal Govt and schools have started sending people home which is also going to create traffic nightmares for the region when coupled with weather.

Folks on the bay are seeing 15 kts SSE and building.
Models have settled on a steady 20 with gusts in excess of 30
Several Skippers have already dropped out for tonight.
Rain models are still iffy in terms of timing, but it's better than a 50% chance of doing the entire race in the rain (or immediately before when we are tying to get out to the start)

So... with a heavy heart, I'm calling the race for tonight--as well as any events out in Deale.  Stay safe!

If you didn't see my separate e-mail, please go see today's FB post for an opportunity to still earn points for your team... If you don't have FB, send me a picture of a pet on your boat and I will post it for you.

Cheers,
Jason


>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<<
View the full Forum Policy: https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=2355&club_id=8237

You have received this message as a member of: Herrington Harbour Sailing Association
Change preferences (including opt-out): https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=13&club_id=8237. Click on 'Forum Memberships' to change your settings for this forum, or 'Forum General Preferences' for all forums.


Good call Jason. We just had about 6 sail slides break from mainsail mast track. It's getting sporty out here!

Hi Jason,
Thanks for all your efforts to pull it off.  I had contacted my crew, who were willing to come out, but after realizing the difficulty in first getting there and then to get home I was asking a lot.  So I had taken action yesterday during all the prospect confusion.
Rich.  s/v Spook



Thank you for the early decision as some crew travel over 50 miles to get down there. Is it possible to do it next week? Regards, Bruce (Put-in-Bay)

Good call, Jason.  Thomas Point Light had 21 kts, gusting to 23 kts at noon.  It's just starting to build.  Sailflow called for gusts to 30 kts at race time.  Wish we could watch the fun from ashore, but then I couldn't get home.  A very nasty day.

Cheers,
Hank and the crew of Cantata

Well, the the storm hit our warm moist air and began to gather speed and energy again. Even though it is passing a bit further north, the entire region is under both gale and tornado warnings, and several branches of the Federal Govt and schools have started sending people home which is also going to create traffic nightmares for the region when coupled with weather.


  • Folks on the bay are seeing 15 kts SSE and building.
  • Models have settled on a steady 20 with gusts in excess of 30
  • Several Skippers have already dropped out for tonight.
  • Rain models are still iffy in terms of timing, but it's better than a 50% chance of doing the entire race in the rain (or immediately before when we are tying to get out to the start)


So... with a heavy heart, I'm calling the race for tonight--as well as any events out in Deale. Stay safe!


If you didn't see my separate e-mail, please go see today's FB post for an opportunity to still earn points for your team... If you don't have FB, send me a picture of a pet on your boat and I will post it for you.


Cheers,

Jason




Good Afternoon--


Ida was downgraded to a Tropical Depression this morning and the NWS is no longer producing dedicated forecast products. However, the remnants of the storm continue to linger over the SE Inland states and slowing its approach back to the coast. The latest forecast shows the former eye moving more northward and passing over this general area closer to early Thursday morning, and I suspect it will continue to linger/slow as a local High pressure system sits over West Virginia pushing against its forward progress (which will also serve to weaken the storm).


Remembering that all models are wrong (and some are useful), and they only represent a snapshot in time based on current conditions and not an analysis of trends, I will continue to monitor the situation throughout tonight and tomorrow, but trends are suggesting a cool cloudy evening with a moderate southerly wind (< 20 kts) with a chance of rain.


It is easy to cancel a race at the last minute; turning it back on again is impossible. Therefore the race remains on for now; expect another update here no later than mid-day tomorrow.


Jason

All--


I am monitoring Hurricane Ida for Wednesday. Current forecasts show that she is likely to be a Tropical Storm and the leading edge will start to pass over us Wednesday evening, (although she is starting to stall, which means she may not get here until Thursday). In general, she will push rain ahead of the main front, but once the outer reaches of system pass over the Eastern Shore, the storm will likely gather energy again which will mean a bunch more wind/rain for us... all depends on timing.


I'm not likely to call the race 'just' for rain, but if the wind forecasts and/or visibility look bad, I'll call it as early as I feel confident in the forecast (especially given that there are likely to be infrequent racers out there). For now it's on, but skippers should watch this space throughout Wednesday. In all likelihood, I will make the call at the last minute and (worst case) we can celebrate the season at Skippers.


Thanks!

Jason

RC

This thread is the official notice board for the Herring Bay Cup.


I have attached the SIs for the race. Please note that while it is similar in format to last year (I've even secured a bagpiper), I have added a few new twists:


  1. I have, [ahem] "significantly" relaxed the sail restrictions for any downwind legs (although if you plan to fly what every equipment rule considers a "spinnaker," please join the spinnaker class (yes, that's directed at you John Schafer... ;) ).
  2. There is an official multi-hull class.
  3. There is a Facebook posting element that can also earn extra points for your team. The detailed instructions will be posted on FB the day of the race... but read the SIs and find pictures of HHSA pets on HHSA boats and have them ready.


Very important reminders:

  1. This is meant to be very lighthearted and doesn't count for anything but bragging rights. HOWEVER safety is always paramount. Have fun, but don't ever do so in a way that jeopardize the safety of you/your crew or your fellow racers.
  2. "Finishing in style" is broadly subjective and left to the imagination of the Skipper. Just see reminder 1.


As a final note, please don't forget to come to the Dock Hop at HHS on Friday 17 September where I will unveil the Herring Bay Cup itself for the first time (hint: those who have been around much longer than I will have a certain fondness for elements of it).


See you out there!

Jason

S/V Fine Tuned

Return to Forum
Please Support Our
Corporate Sponsors

Slideshow
Sponsor Logos

Herrington Harbour Marina
Shipwright Harbor Marina
Schuman Yacht Detailing
Rolly Tasker Sails
Chesapeake Sailmakers
Ullman Sails

Ministry of Sailing


Our Affiliations: