help_outline Skip to main content
Herrington Harbour Sailing Association
Promoting sailing on Herring Bay and beyond
 
Shopping Cart
cancel

Racing Discussions

Tonight's Wednesday Race Update
Author Last Post
Sounds like a great call to cancel to me, even though those are our types of winds (except for the tornado watch part I heard about) and thanks again Matt for taking a second turn at RC this season as affiliate Gaia crew since I will be overseas longer than planned (a good thing!). 

Les,

Gaia (soon Florida bound!)


From: "Racing Discussions" <racing_discussions@hhsa.org>
Date: Thursday, August 19, 2021 at 04:17:06
To: "Folio, Les (NIH/CC/DRD) [E]" <les.folio@nih.gov>
Subject: re: Tonight's Wednesday Race Update

We used the time for practice and was awarded with our fastest hull speed yet.


Total respect for calling it, we weren't sure if we would even make it out of the slip.

We used the time for practice and was awarded with our fastest hull speed yet.


Total respect for calling it, we weren't sure if we would even make it out of the slip.

Concur. Hindsight is always 20/20: sometimes you cancel the ones you shouldn’t have, sometimes you run the ones you should have canceled. Thanks for stepping up to be RC—that’s three hardest part.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone

Matt: You made the right decision.

At the time I called it I had just seen 30kts on my anometer and the skies were ominous. It didn’t look good. Around 5:30 it cleared up and was beautiful…so we sailed. 

It was a gamble…and I’d choose the safe gamble like this every time. Hope everyone had a good evening regardless.

-Matt
s/v Three Seas

Sent from my iPhone

I was down at the slip earlier for boat work and cancelled racing with the crew.  Later on, after I got home, one of my guys who lives on Holland Point told me he had blue skies with 10-12 kts of wind.... oh well.  See y'all Saturday.

Hank

I see blue sky!


Radar shows it is almost gone.


https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.726&lon=-76.5393


Hopefully, we will have some breeze Saturday.


Doug

Thanks,. Was about to reply that Spook will stay in slip.  You made it too easy.

I'm still seeing 25kts on the wind gauge. Nasty looking clouds ahead. So many people saying they are not racing.


I'm going to officially cancel tonight's race. No need for anyone to risk breaking anything or getting hurt.


That said, if you're around, I'll be drinking on the boat and staying the night. Stop by for a drink if you want...there will be a few of us around here. The T-Head at the end of H dock.


-Matt

Kaya won't be racing. Taking CG broadcast  warning on 16 seriously and staying in safe harbor.



Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device


Too early to cancel ...

Keith

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone


<<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>
Posted by: Matt Smith on 8/18/2021 at 11:35 AM
View/reply online: https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=2155&club_id=8237&item_id=1167809&message_id=2921757
Reply to forum at racing_discussions@hhsa.org (be sure to copy the message subject exactly so your reply is attached to the correct thread)
Reply directly to Matt Smith at mattsmith6935@gmail.com
If this message contains inappropriate content, you can report the message online: https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=2163&club_id=8237&item_id=2921757&thread_id=1167809&forum_id=2579&show_message=y
<<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>


The forecast for this evening isn't looking stellar.

"This after - Showers and thunderstorms likely, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 4pm. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds. High near 86. Southeast wind around 16mph, with gusts as high as 23mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, expect higher amounts possible in thunderstorms."

The area is also under a tornado watch until 8pm.

I'm in my slip at HHN and seeing steady 22kt winds...and that's in the slip!!!

I don't mind going out and setting up in this as this catamaran is pretty stable, but I'm not sure everyone will want to race in this. The tornado watch part is my big concern. Oh...and 22kt rain pellets hitting you in the face.

So...all that said, is anyone planning on not racing tonight due to the weather? This might help make my mind up to cancel or not.

-Matt
Race Committee
s/v Three Seas


>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<<
You have received this message as a member of: Herrington Harbour Sailing Association
Change preferences (including opt-out): https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=13&club_id=8237. Click on 'Forum Memberships' to change your settings for this forum, or 'Forum General Preferences' for all forums.


That was a delayed posting... I have decided not to race tonight.

Keith

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone


<<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>
Posted by: Keith Mayes on 8/18/2021 at 1:44 PM
View/reply online: https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=2155&club_id=8237&item_id=1167809&message_id=2921901
Reply to forum at racing_discussions@hhsa.org (be sure to copy the message subject exactly so your reply is attached to the correct thread)
If this message contains inappropriate content, you can report the message online: https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=2163&club_id=8237&item_id=2921901&thread_id=1167809&forum_id=2579&show_message=y
<<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>


Too early to cancel ...
Keith
Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

<<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>
Posted by: Matt Smith on 8/18/2021 at 11:35 AM
View/reply online: https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=2155&club_id=8237&item_id=1167809&message_id=2921757
Reply to forum at racing_discussions@hhsa.org (be sure to copy the message subject exactly so your reply is attached to the correct thread)
Reply directly to Matt Smith at mattsmith6935@gmail.com
If this message contains inappropriate content, you can report the message online: https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=2163&club_id=8237&item_id=2921757&thread_id=1167809&forum_id=2579&show_message=y
<<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>


The forecast for this evening isn't looking stellar.

"This after - Showers and thunderstorms likely, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 4pm. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds. High near 86. Southeast wind around 16mph, with gusts as high as 23mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, expect higher amounts possible in thunderstorms."

The area is also under a tornado watch until 8pm.

I'm in my slip at HHN and seeing steady 22kt winds...and that's in the slip!!!

I don't mind going out and setting up in this as this catamaran is pretty stable, but I'm not sure everyone will want to race in this. The tornado watch part is my big concern. Oh...and 22kt rain pellets hitting you in the face.

So...all that said, is anyone planning on not racing tonight due to the weather? This might help make my mind up to cancel or not.

-Matt
Race Committee
s/v Three Seas


>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<<
You have received this message as a member of: Herrington Harbour Sailing Association
Change preferences (including opt-out): https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=13&club_id=8237. Click on 'Forum Memberships' to change your settings for this forum, or 'Forum General Preferences' for all forums.





>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<<
You have received this message as a member of: Herrington Harbour Sailing Association
Change preferences (including opt-out): https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=13&club_id=8237. Click on 'Forum Memberships' to change your settings for this forum, or 'Forum General Preferences' for all forums.


Too early to cancel ...

Keith

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone


<<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>
Posted by: Matt Smith on 8/18/2021 at 11:35 AM
View/reply online: https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=2155&club_id=8237&item_id=1167809&message_id=2921757
Reply to forum at racing_discussions@hhsa.org (be sure to copy the message subject exactly so your reply is attached to the correct thread)
Reply directly to Matt Smith at mattsmith6935@gmail.com
If this message contains inappropriate content, you can report the message online: https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=2163&club_id=8237&item_id=2921757&thread_id=1167809&forum_id=2579&show_message=y
<<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>


The forecast for this evening isn't looking stellar.

"This after - Showers and thunderstorms likely, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 4pm. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds. High near 86. Southeast wind around 16mph, with gusts as high as 23mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, expect higher amounts possible in thunderstorms."

The area is also under a tornado watch until 8pm.

I'm in my slip at HHN and seeing steady 22kt winds...and that's in the slip!!!

I don't mind going out and setting up in this as this catamaran is pretty stable, but I'm not sure everyone will want to race in this. The tornado watch part is my big concern. Oh...and 22kt rain pellets hitting you in the face.

So...all that said, is anyone planning on not racing tonight due to the weather? This might help make my mind up to cancel or not.

-Matt
Race Committee
s/v Three Seas


>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<<
You have received this message as a member of: Herrington Harbour Sailing Association
Change preferences (including opt-out): https://www.hhsa.org/content.aspx?page_id=13&club_id=8237. Click on 'Forum Memberships' to change your settings for this forum, or 'Forum General Preferences' for all forums.


I am looking up. A passing shower went over. Maybe some behind it.


I will be monitoring 68 after 5pm.

LP won't be racing.

And Delirium won't, either, for non-weather reasons.

Uncloudy Day will not race tonight either. beda

It's unlikely that LP will be going out, but Ted (who would be skippering tonight) has yet to decide. It does look like the storms may pass thru earlier and the winds may moderate a little.


Just saw this article about recent waterspout sightings. Do not attempt to sail through one!!


https://chesapeakebaymagazine.com/multiple-waterspouts-spotted-on-bay-in-recent-days/


Eunice

Liberty Prevails

Hawkeye will not make it out tonight. I wish I could blame the weather, but sadly my excuse is work related.


Andy Harvey

1990 Ericson Olson 911S #149 Hawkeye

I would like to race. But, there have been a number of water spouts sighted this year. I have told my crew in VA who said it was raining hard to stay home. I will see what is what when I get to the dock. I only live 8 min from the boat.


Doug

Second Wind is not racing. Wimp factor blamed. Or, as they say, after almost 50 years of fairly serious racing, “been there, done that.” But on the other hand, the weather never ceases to surprise….Still, Second Wind is sitting the one out.
Avalon is not coming out
Jim Murtland

Sent from my iPhone

Return to Forum
Please Support Our
Corporate Sponsors

Slideshow
Sponsor Logos

Herrington Harbour Marina
Shipwright Harbor Marina
Schuman Yacht Detailing
Rolly Tasker Sails
Chesapeake Sailmakers
Ullman Sails

Ministry of Sailing


Our Affiliations: